The best multitool for fixing common faults
In this article we are going to talk about the multitool Topeak Alien III, excellent to fix eventual problems of mechanics of the bicycle. There is no doubt that the most frequent fault in a departure by bike is a puncture or a blowout of the tire.
However the most common breakdown is a puncture. On the road bike is quite frequent to have a puncture, usually due to small chinitas, pieces of crystals or wire.
Any object with a sharp or penetrating area is likely to pierce the wheel cover.
That is why the typical route runner should always carry a thousand eyes when making the road maps. We can not rely on the shoulders, where the road traffic is throwing all the remains of objects that are in the zone of rolling of the highway.
Mountain bike (mtb) is somewhat less prone to punctures, but that does not mean it is totally immune to punctures. It is true that the tires usually carry more reinforced the tread of the tire, but that does not mean at all that it is totally immune to punctures.
While it is true that the tires are more reinforced, it is also true that the terrain where it is usually circular is in worse condition.
But do not lose sight of the purpose of this article. We are here to talk about the multi-tools that swarm around the cyclist universe, and whose main function is to fix that other universe of breakdowns that usually occur on our bike outside the famous punctures.
The multi-tools are usually classified according to the number of different tools that are at our service, and therefore, the different number of failures that we can tackle by getting out of them.
These are some of the different tools that we can find in a good multi-tool typical and well stocked gadgets.
For this occasion we will try the Topeak Alien III, predecessor of the Alien II that has been awarded several awards. They carry the same number of tools, the main difference being that the more modern weighs a little less and is more compact.
Description and advantages of various tools
Both the “Topeak Alien II” version and the “Alien II” version incorporate the mimo tool number, which is why for this article we will use the specifications of the latter.
It is a multi-tool with each of the utensils made of chrome vanadium stainless steel, high quality alloy and resistance.
It is considered as the best multi-tool of the market, both in quantity of utensils as by the quality of its gadgets (cachivaches).
If you’re after buying an excellent multi-tool to ride on the bike more quiet and safe, the benchmark is without doubt the multitool for the Topeak Alien III bike
It has 26 different functions, which I show below:
- Phillips screwdrivers, which do not need presentation. The star key is used on a large number of devices on our bikes.
- The keys for radios of two measures (14 and 15g), in case we need to center our wheels or we have to remove a broken radius that makes the camera of our wheels hairy.
- To disassemble the wheel, we have the anodized demonstrable.
- A T25 Torx wrench, which can be used, among other things, to remove the rear shift toe.
- A flat screwdriver. Need comments?
- An assortment of Allen wrenches in sizes 2, 2,5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 mm. Undoubtedly Allen or hex keys are the most used on our bikes with much difference with the second.
- Stainless steel penknife and two compartments for two drawers. A sharp tool can be used for anything. To cut the excess of something to give an example.
- It’s very clear, if you have a problem in the chain and you have the stump, then you’re definitely dead.
- Commonly steel chrome shell (molybdenum chromium). Steel wire for easy handling of the chain.
- Flat wrenches 8, 9 and 10 mm. Undoubtedly, fixed wrenches are always useful for tightening the pedals, the axle of the brakes or the axis of the bushings.
- External size of the multiple tool: 8 × 4.5 × 4.5 cm. With a weight of 270 g.
To expand your knowledge of bicycle tools, take a look at the 8 most incredible tools for your bike and what to wear on a bike outing, as well as sixteen essential bicycle tools.